Saturday, January 22, 2011

Toronto ran into hot goalie Braden Holtby

Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing at the quotes from Maple Leafs Coach Ron Wilson and the Toronto media about the hot goalie they faced tonight. For once, it was the Caps that had the hot goalie in net, Braden Holtby, a fourth round pick for the Capitals in the 2008 entry draft. I'm laughing because, as any long time Caps fan knows, the Caps are notorious for making rookie goalies and mediocre goalies look like Vezina trophy winners, so it's nice when the tables are turned.

I'm also laughing because, the "hot goalie" excuse is used far too often by the Caps coaches and management when the Caps don't perform. I hate the "hot goalie" excuse. Okay, back to a glorious hockey game.

Why was it a glorious game? Number one, because Braden Holtby is a competitor and played a stellar and acrobatic game in net. He received the first star of the night, which he deserved. I've heard good things about this young goalie's play in Hershey and it was nice to see him rise to the occasion. Holtby struggled in his last call up to the show, but he's played two very poised games in a row. And, can I help it if I get excited when I hear rumors that he has a temper like Olie :) . I like emotional net minders.

Second star, Alex Ovechkin, made the game even more enjoyable. Ovie scored a hat trick after 8,000 fans watched him during the morning skate in Toronto. I tend to forget, particularly when Ovie's struggling, that I get the privilege of watching him play all 82 games during each season. People in other hockey cities, like Toronto, appreciate Ovie's talents and can only see him one or two times per season so it's no surprise they go to watch him skate. Jeff and I met plenty of Ovie fans in Canada last February.

I'm glad Ovie gave the crowd a show and I'm also glad he looked like his old self. I'm liking Jason Chimera on the line with Ovie and Nicklas Backstrom. Ovie netted himself a hat trick and that line got six points tonight and five points in their last game. Keep them together for a while Coach Boudreau.

No bitching tonight, I enjoyed the game.

Rangers up on Monday.

Let's go Caps!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home