Fun in Philly
I'm still stunned at the Caps "shock and awe" 5-2 performance against the Flyers in Philly last night. With two goals in 1:08 to take the lead at the end of the first, after the Flyers scored first, and three goals in 2:25 at the beginning of the third period, it was a night of goals in bunches.
For two games in a row, the Caps have played hard for almost 60-minutes (that ridiculous last goal against being an exception to the playing hard theme) and that's a huge difference from last year, particularly, this early in the season. Maybe it's the new guys, maybe it's the new "seriousness", maybe it's Tomas Vokoun standing on his head again, maybe it's Coach Bruce Boudreau matching lines when he can, maybe it's parking guys in front of the net, maybe it's Nicklas Backstrom (2nd star tonight) and Alex Ovechkin (1st star) starting to find their games again and maybe it's all of the above. I don't care what it is, I just hope they keep it up.
Any game the Caps play in the state of Pennsylvania that makes the fans leave early, like tonight, puts a big grin on my face. But, I can't get too excited because it's way too early and the second season (the only one that counts in hockey) is months away.
Players I'd like to call out with an emphasis on the 4th line:
- Matt Hendricks - loved his game against Florida and tonight (assisted on Hamrlik's goal, played +2 hockey). That guy his hustling, as is the whole fourth line...which leads to...
- Mathieu Perreault - scored an unassisted goal and played +2 hockey. He played a great game tonight.
- Jeff Halpern - good to see him back in a Caps uniform, especially, when he's 86% in the faceoff circle on 7 attempts, like he was tonight. Caps faceoff win percentage is ranked 20th in the league...ugh, this is a problem that needs to be fixed.
- Ovie - loved that vintage first period goal. More, more, more, please.
- Tomas Vokoun - I'm so much happier seeing him a Caps uniform, than a Florida one since he burned the Caps so many times. His laser focus on the pucks tonight was awesome. Vokoun is playing great in net.
Detroit's coming to town for Saturday night's game. Since my friend and fellow hockey fanatic, Steve, is a Detroit fan and is attending the game, I'm pleading for the Caps to bring some more shock and awe. Sorry Steve :)
Let's go Caps!