Thursday, January 15, 2009

Caps fans don't care to vote AO to all star b.s.

I am a Washington Capitals fan and have been since 1974 although the seriousness of my fandom has gone up and down over the years. Caps fans haven't had much to root for in many years.

My Caps fandom went into overdrive the year that the Caps acquired Alexander Ovechkin, the greatest hockey player in the NHL last year and one that I feel privileged to watch night after night.   There has never been a generational athlete like him in Washington sports.

I refused to vote in that all star voting charade because:
  • The Habs fan were using computer generated scripts to make sure their players got voted in as starters for the 100th anniversary of their hockey club.  The NHL supposedly fixed this (yeah right) by discounting those votes.  
  • And many other hockey fans sat at their computers voting time and time again for their favorite players.  I have better things to do than sit at my computer all day than voting in this joke of an all star game.
I am not the only Caps fan that feels that way and there are plenty of them that didn't vote. It wasn't because they didn't care enough to vote Ovie into the lineup.  Many of us regard the All Star game with utter disdain because it's a farce of a popularity contest and means nothing in relation to who are the best players in the NHL.  I can only hope the NHL is embarrassed by the fact that the reigning Most Valuable Player isn't in the starting lineup as a top 5 "All Star".

Here's my advice to those in charge at the NHL - change the process so it has some semblance of credibility if you want a real All Star game.

Let's go Caps!



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Nation's Capital said...

I agree, the game was a ridiculous farce from the start, but now the voting process diminishes the honor of being chosen.

Fix it, or just cancel it.

Ya know what, I'd prefer the latter.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Caps Dreamer said...

You're right. They might as well cancel it.

Thanks Nation's Capital!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home