Friday, October 06, 2006

Rangers 5, Capitals 2 and Jagr scores within seconds. Sigh. This does not make my night nor does it ease my frustration.

I was stuck in traffic - what else is new in DC - listening to the game on Sirius satellite radio which was also an unpleasant experience since it was the NY Rangers network! I listened to them praise "Jagr's winning ways" and then go on to say maybe Caps fans don't think the same thing about Jagr. Hmmm, you think?

But, as my boyfriend and fellow Caps fanatic so gently reminds me, Jagr scored more points than all other Capitals during the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 seasons. At least, OV's point total last year was higher than Jagr's for all the seasons he played for the Caps. Let's hope that trend continues.

OV looked rusty last night though. (I finally made it home to actually watch some of the game.) And, make no mistake about it, I've been on the OV bandwagon since I started reading about him last summer before he even took to the ice here. I realize it's just one game, but I want the Caps to go to the playoffs. Unrealistic expectations? Of course, since no one seems to be predicting they will, but I can't help it. That's why I'm a Caps Dreamer.

Even though I'm a dreamer, I'm well aware of the Cap's deficiencies. The defense needs some serious help...gee, no surprise there. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone coming to the rescue on defense. The Caps have to make do with what they have as we're in "rebuilding" mode and according to Coach Hanlon in the Washington Post yesterday, "We'll add the right pieces at the right time. We'll have to see when that time comes, whether it's late this season or early next season." I hope the "right time" comes faster than expected, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike Green played well on defense last night. He impressed me with his short stint with the Caps last year and his playing on the Calder Cup winning Hershey Bears should help him contribute here. Go Mike!

Onto Carolina. I'll be there cheering!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home