Olie the Goalie
Thank you! What Caps memories you've given me. I got your jersey the year that turned out to be your last with the Caps. It saddened me because I wanted you to retire in it. It doesn't matter. I will treasure it always.
My favorite moments and things I loved about you as a player and a leader are similar to many other fans, but here's my list:
- The '98 Cup run. I'd forgotten just how spectacular you were until one of the networks replayed scenes from that year when the Caps made the playoffs. Wow. That's still my highlight of being a Caps fan since 1974.
- Your fight with your best man, Brian DaFoe, was a classic. But, it was also your tenacity in sticking up for your teammates that I loved. You didn't hesitate to go after someone running one of the Caps. Goalies didn't typically do that and I thought it was great.
- Your year of winning the Vezina. You were sublime.
- Your workhorse seasons. I'd forgotten what's it like, as a fan, to have to rest your goalie. It seemed you never rested.
- Your community service. This area misses you. But, you started great things that will live on like Athletes Against Autism. I wish your son Carson the best.
Let's go Caps!